How to customise your Microsoft Word reports
Premium subscribers can customise the reports that StratNavApp.com produces in Microsoft Word format.
This can be useful for:
- brand guidelines and styles,
- including boilerplate text, such as copyright notices and legal disclaimers, etc.
How to customise your report
To create a customised report:
- Click "Download the report template" at the bottom of the Reports page - the template should open up in Microsoft Word.
- Make the changes - see instructions below, and save the file somewhere on your hard drive. Remember to save it as an ordinary document, and not as a document template.
- Click "Choose File" to select the customised template you've just saved to your hard drive.
- Click "File Upload" to upload the template to our server.
Note: you need to have Microsoft Word installed on your local machine in order to customise a template. Any customised templates you create only be available to the project you upload them to. Of course, you can upload the same template to multiple projects.
What can you customise?
- Microsoft Word styles
- Document properties
- Document bookmarks
Microsoft Word styles
StratNavApp.com makes use of a number of paragraph styles in Microsoft Word. These control things like font, size, colour, spacing and indentation.
There are a number of styles used, which you can edit to your preferences, these include:
- Normal: the style for default paragraphs. All other styles are based on this.
- Heading1 to Heading6
- Bullet1 to Bullet3: for (indented) bullet lists
- NumberedItem1 to NumberedItem3: for (indented) numbered lists
- Overdue: highlights overdue items in red (or the colour of your choice).
See: Customise or create new styles in Microsoft Word
Document properties allow you to place specific details about your project in the document - typically on the title page or in the page headers or footers.
There are a number of document properties that you can use, including:
- Plan Name: the name of your project.
- Plan From: the start date for your plan period.
- Plan To: the end date for your plan period.
- Organisation: the name of the organisation the plan is for.
- Submitter Name: the name of the person submitting the plan.
- Submitter Phone: the telephone number of the person submitting the plan.
- Create Date: the date on which the plan was generated.
Note that these are all present in the default template. However, they are optional, so you do not need to include them in your own template.
Bookmarks define areas of the document used by the StratNavApp.com to include reports contents.
There are eight bookmarks that are used:
- ReportContent: this is the most important bookmark area - the contents of this bookmark area will get replaced by the main content of the report.
- Organisation: if you have not defined an organisation for the project then everything within this bookmark will be deleted.
PlanDates: if you have not specified a plan period, then everything within this bookmark will be deleted PlanDescription: the contents of this bookmark will get replaced by the plan description.
- PlanOtherInformation: the contents of this bookmark will get replaced by the "Other Information" field for this plan.
- SubmitterName: if you have not specified an email address for the plan submitter, then everything in this bookmark will be deleted.
- SubmitterEmail: if you have not specified an email address for the plan submitter, then everything in this bookmark will be deleted.
- SubmitterPhone: if you have not specified a telephone number for the plan submitter, then everything in this bookmark will be deleted.
See: Add or delete a bookmark in Word
If you need any help customising your report, please submit a support ticket. If you have any suggestions on how to improve our report customisation, please send us feedback. (Both options are available from the Feedback and Support button on the right.)